Teeth grinding, also known as bruxism, is a common dental condition that affects millions of people all over the world. If not treated, it can cause various dental and health problems, such as worn out teeth, jaw pain, headaches, and sleeping disorders.
Fortunately, there are several solutions that can help reduce or stop teeth grinding. Here are some of the most effective solutions we recommend to our patients at Newstead smiles
- Stress management – Most people who grind their teeth do so because they are stressed. Therefore, relaxing activities such as yoga, meditation, or regular exercise can help reduce stress levels and alleviate teeth grinding.
- Mouthguards – Also called Nightguards and occlusal splints – Our dentists can prescribe a customized mouthguard that can help prevent teeth grinding during the night. The mouthguard works by creating a physical barrier between the upper and lower teeth and preventing them from grinding against each other
- Lifestyle changes – Avoid consuming caffeine or hard-to-chew foods before bedtime. Regular brushing, flossing, and dental cleanings also help combat teeth grinding.
- Muscle exercises – If bruxism is due to muscle tension or jaw clenching when sleeping, regularly doing specific muscle exercises can help relax muscles in the jaw and prevent grinding.
- Medications – If bruxism is severe or due to an underlying medical or psychological condition, a doctor may prescribe muscle relaxants or other medications to prevent teeth grinding.
- Botox may also be used to treat teeth grinding. Botox works by relaxing the muscles in the jaw, preventing them from contracting and grinding the teeth. However, Botox is not typically the first-line treatment option for bruxism. It is usually reserved for people who have not had success with other treatments such as mouthguards or muscle exercises. Therefore, it is essential to consult with your Brisbane Dentist who can weigh the benefits and risks of Botox treatment for bruxism and provide appropriate recommendations based on the individual factors of the patient.
In conclusion, teeth grinding can cause significant discomfort and dental problems if left untreated. Stress management, customized mouthguards, lifestyle changes, muscle exercises, and medications are some of the most effective solutions to combat bruxism. If you are experiencing an issue with teeth grinding, there is no need to suffer unnecessarily.
Have a question?
At Newstead Smiles, We offer a high quality 3D printed mouthguards in a very quick and easy process thanks to our digital scanners technology.
Book online or contact us today to consult for a proper diagnosis and effective treatment.